Thank you for your interest in our site. The Bonnechere Caves have been attracting thousands of visitors from all around the world since 1955. Every spring it is our pleasure to welcome busloads of school children to one of Mother Nature's most interesting classrooms. Our teachers do a wonderful job in the classroom but there is nothing like a properly chosen field trip to support those learning processes.
When you visit The Caves you will learn from our guides:
- the different types of rocks
- the process of fossilization
- the impact of glaciers on our landscape
- a greater understanding and respect for the planet we all share
- the formation of caves
- how stalactites grow
- hibernation practices of the small brown bats
- some local history
- how the caves were discovered and explored
- fossils of the Ordovician time period
(All of this will be done in an entertaining and easy to understand manner)
Because the underground is always 10 C we recommend that you bring a light sweater or jacket. Low heeled shoes are the best or in other words any footwear that you would use to go on a hike. We do have electric lights in the cave, but bring along a flashlight so that you can get an extra close look at the walls. Everywhere in the walls you will find scalloping patterns and fossils. To enhance your visit have the students click on the Fossil Work Sheet at the top of this page just under the school bus. Print it off and bring it along on your trip.
We have a concession stand where we sell drinks, snacks, ice cream, souvenirs and science related products.
OUR PRICING POLICY
- on the day of the trip the teacher (or designated person) pays on arrival
- we accept Visa, Mastercard, Interac, Cheque or cash
- students in the ages 4-12 category pay $10 taxes included and students in the 13-17 category pay $11 taxes included. All adults on the trip pay the same fee as their child (a regular adult rate is $16)
- teachers, bus drivers and teacher's aids are free
- if for some reason the trip has to be cancelled all we ask is that you let us know as soon as possible so that your spot can be filled by another school group. There is no penalty for cancellation we just hope that you will re-schedule a visit to us at another time. To arrange your visit call 1-800-469-2283 and ask for Chris or email us at: email@example.com.
- We understand that a number of school groups are looking to do a number of activities in one day and we are often not the only stop on the agenda. We recommend the following neighbors who also provide learning activities for students.
- Frontier Trails Camp
- Bonnechere Museum
- Aqua Rose Gems and Minerals
- Red Wolf Retreat
- Logos Land
We look forward to welcoming you to one of Mother Nature's Geological Gems,
Chris and Val Hinsperger